- 2017.11.28 Symposium Materials and Wifi Information
This symposium is a paperless conference.
All the PowerPoint slides and other relevant materials will be available at the admitted participants page. http://www.research.kobe-u.ac.jp/gsics-pcrc/3rdsympo/20171207.html
Free WiFi is also available at the conference venue.
- 2017.11.22 Registration and Information for Registered Participants
The symposium organizing committee decided to accept a few more registration. Please register as soon as possible through the website. For the registered participants, the symposium secretariat has already dispatched an e-mail informing practical information, including password for the “admitted participants only” website to access conference material.
- 2017.11.02 The Registration ends on 20th November
The registration for the symposium ends on 20th November. If you wish to attend the symposium, please make a registration as soon as possible. From 21st November, the webpage for admitted participants will be available with ID and password.
- 2017.10.24 Ambassador Ide’s participation
The participation of Ambassador Keiji Ide, currently Ambassador in charge of Arctic Affairs at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, in the symposium has been confirmed. Ambassador Ide will give a keynote speech in the morning of December 9. For details, please see the updated program.
- 2017.09.08 Registration is now open
Welcome to the 3rd International symposium on The Role of Non-Arctic States/Actors in the Arctic Legal Order-making. For details of each session, please see the provisional program. This symposium is by invitation only. If you wish to attend the symposium, please make a registration as soon as possible. Please note that due to the limited seating availability, we may not accommodate all the requests.
- 2017.07.15 Call for Papers
The PCRC welcomes papers from those who wish to participate in the 3rd international symposium as a discussant. The PCRC may decide to provide financial support for international travel and accommodation to a few early career researchers. The deadline is 18 September 2017. For details, please see the announcement. The application form is available here.
- 2017.07.07 PCRC 3rd International Symposium
The Polar Cooperation Research Centre (PCRC) is proud to announce its third international symposium to be held on 7-9 December 2017. The PCRC’s distinct research approach to the Arctic is aimed at establishing and strengthening the international legal and institutional framework so as to bring stability and foreseeability in the future of the Arctic. Increasingly, the challenges faced in the Arctic can no longer be addressed or tackled only within the Arctic both geographically and functionally. This symposium will critically examine the positive contribution that the non-Arctic States/actors can bring to such Arctic legal order-making, as well as challenges faced by them. PCRC symposia endeavor to be thought-provoking and discussion-oriented, with each session comprising of an in-depth examination by an expert followed by critical discussion with the discussants and the participants. We do not have parallel sessions so that all participants can engage in all sessions.
- Confirmed participants (as of 4 September) include:
- Rasmus Gjedssø Bertelsen (UiT The Arctic University of Norway; JSPS Invited Fellow, Kobe University (October-December 2017))
- Dalee Sambo Dorough (University of Alaska Anchorage, USA; UN Permanent Forum for Indigenous Issues (2011-2016))
- Naomi Harada (Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC))
- Sebastian Knecht (Berlin Graduate School for Transnational Studies, Germany)
- Timo Koivurova (Arctic Centre, University of Lapland, Finland)
- Erik Molenaar (Netherlands Institute for the Law of the Sea, Utrecht University; K.G. Jebsen Centre for the Law of the Sea, UiT The Arctic University of Norway)
- Joji Morishita (Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, Japan)
- Koji Sekimizu (Secretary- General Emeritus, IMO; Special Advisor and Professor, Kobe University, Japan)
- Won-Sang Seo (Korea Polar Research Institute, Republic of Korea)
- Malgorzata Smieszek (Arctic Centre, University of Lapland, Finland)
- Florian Stammler (Arctic Centre, University of Lapland, Finland)
- Aki Tonami (Tsukuba University, Japan)
- Jian Yang (Shanghai Institutes for International Studies, People’s Republic of China)
- 2017 PCRC Symposium Organizing Committee
- Akiho Shibata, Director and Professor
- Leilei Zou, Invited Associate Professor
- Osamu Inagaki, Assistant Professor
- Nikolas Sellheim, Senior Research Fellow
- Marzia Scopelliti, Research Fellow